MAP's mission is to provide independent and rigorous research, insight and communications that help speed equality and opportunity for all. MAP works to ensure that all people have a fair chance to pursue health and happiness, earn a living, take care of the ones they love, be safe in their communities, and participate in civic life.
Founded in 2006, the Movement Advancement Project (MAP) is an independent think tank that provides rigorous research, insight and communications that help speed equality and opportunity for all. MAP works to achieve these goals in three key ways:
- 1. Advancing the conversation. MAP conducts groundbreaking research to deeply understand how people think and then develops the messages and communications to build broader support for equality and opportunity for all. Our public education campaigns, multimedia content, ads, graphics and media outreach are designed to shift people’s thinking and drive action. From innovative videos to messaging guidance and training, MAP is a leader in advancing the conversation.
- 2. Advancing policy. Time and time again, MAP has provided rigorous and independent research and analysis to help drive policy changes that advance equality and opportunity. On issues from nondiscrimination to criminal justice to voting to health care, MAP frames problems and policy solutions for maximum impact. MAP’s resources are persuasive, easy to understand and actionable. From infographics to in-depth analyses, our policy expertise provides organizations and advocates with the tools they need to advance policy.
- 3. Advancing collaboration. MAP knows we are stronger when we work together. That’s why we’re a leader in building coalitions and partnerships within the LGBT movement and across movements, such as the 1,700-strong Open to All coalition. MAP’s research, analysis, and communications further empower and aid our partner organizations and help align our efforts, so we can build a broad base of support for solutions and work together for change.
Our AudiencesMAP works to educate, engage and persuade a range of audiences, including:
- MAP works collaboratively with Organizations, Advocates and Funders, providing tools, research and resources that expand organizational capacity, align resources and increase impact, and speed equality and opportunity for all.
- By outlining the need for change and articulating solutions in a comprehensive and compelling way, MAP helps the Public better understand the need for change, become motivated to act, and take effective action.
- MAP helps Policymakers better understand the challenges at hand, the policy solutions to address them, and become more effective advocates for change.
- MAP’s work helps Media better understand the challenges facing the country, be compelled to cover these issues in ways that build public understanding, and better articulate what needs to happen to achieve equality and opportunity for all.
Our Logic Model
MAP believes we can help speed equality and opportunity for all through the process summarized in our Logic Model below: by educating and influencing external change agents, such as policymakers and media, while simultaneously strengthening the organizations and movements advocating for change.